Anthony Melvin Crasto Ph.D
Worlddrugtracker, Principal scientist, Process research, Glenmark pharmaceuticals Ltd, Mahape, India
Ph.D,Org Chem, ICT, Mumbai, India, email, [email protected], +919323115463, 25+ years in industry( API), mostly multinationals, process development in companies like Hoechst Marion Roussel (Sanofi aventis), Searle, RPG, Innovassynth, Glenmark, with exposure to basic research at SEARLE under Dr Nagarajan (Director Ciba), Tech transfer in plant eg deltamethrin 3 tonnes in RPG, bulk drug gmp (7 months) in Hoechst Marion Roussel (SANOFI AVENTIS), Custom syn in Innovasynth (SANDOZ, Basel, BASF Germany), exposure to natural pdts, drugs int, vet drugs, and some exposure in agro.speciality chemicals, flavours and fragrances, nutraceuticals and mettalocenes. ability to deliver products in the prodn plant(atleast 35 in career).
1. Felt proud to spend millenium night (2000) in plant
2. Added personally a 25 kg sodium cyanide charge in a reactor at 2 in night, panoli, RPG.in 90'decade, not to be attempted again
3. Did not run away and controlled an exotherm in plant batch due to accidental addn of acid.Cl into NaCN rxn
4. Sim. case when a thin film high vac distn exploded in a pilot plant in nasik for CBZ chem. UK, still able to despatch 100 kg material, Award london trip
5. High vac. distilled 25 kg of drug int in the night using 3 pumps for a pilot plant trial intermediate, SANDOZ Basel, award bottle of wine from switzerland
6. Personally worked after lab work in evenings with Dr Ralph Stapel , director.Hoechst pilot plant at Mulund Mumbai, in 80'
7. Assisted Head Asia pacific, QA for TGA audit at Aventis plant ankleshwar
8 Slept for 3 hrs in morning in first aid room in Panoli during Deltamethrin process demo at panoli Gujarat, then afternoon 2 hrs at guest house during 6 months campaign
9 Reached Innovasynth lab in khopoli at 9 morning from mumbai,100 km, using trucks, ricks after july monsoon deluge in Mumbai 2005
10 Got an opportunity to write a DMF in 90', hoechst, Got a chance to work in tablets,large vol parenterals, inj, vaccines in Hoechst mulund plant
Explore my professional history and get to know the companies I worked at and the roles and responsibilities I've been assigned.
Currently working with GLENMARK GENERICS LTD research centre as Principal Scientist, process research (bulk actives) at Mahape ,Navi Mumbai,and leading a team of scientists in developing APIs for regulated markets, this involves visualization and execution of novel routes, polymorphs, and developing intellectual property to protect the invention. This involves all aspects of synthesis in lab and commercialization on plant , support for DMF filing.
Currently, involved in development of several targets for regulated markets. Provide support to US/European marketing team for developing and execution of new projects
Process Development :-
• Providing guidance and support for process development for challenging of patents in regulated market.
• Design patent non-infringing scalable synthetic routes/process and scale-up of API’s
• Bench and Pilot scale synthesis transformations in hands on
• Optimization of the process, ie,developing industrially feasible process.
• Preparation of PDR, filing of patent and DMF
• Lead a group of Scientists and Group Leaders(for docs).
Skill sets:- Technical skills:
• Development of novel synthetic routes/process for pharmaceuticals and successful implementation of the technology in pilot plant
• Conducted various reactions at laboratory and production scales.
• Synthesized various classes of compounds.
• Experienced to work under cGMP condition
• Literature survey: well conversant with the use of Sci Finder and Internet search techniques.
• Operating Instruction: Preparation of scale up report (process, yield, costing, quality, specification etc.).
• Setting of specifications: Supported analytical section for method development and establishment of specification for Raw Material, Intermediate and finished products.
• Creativity in problem solving, Highly motivated and Self-starting individual, Excellent communication skill,Team leader with good listening
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES COVERED IN THE ENTIRE CAREER
1) Extensive range of chemistry and scale of manufacture from laboratory, scale up laboratory, pilot plant, plant scale including third party activity.
Applied intellectual and synthetic skills to the process development of pharmaceutical drugs/their intermediates, and natural products, neutraceuticals, mettalocenes, speciality chemicals, flavours and fragrances in the laboratory and monitor them during plant trials.
Act as a technology transfer man and provide all data required for transfer from lab to commercialization.
Use of Internet and manual literature search methods to decide on non infringing route
Write DHR for API before implementation of novel route in the plant and assist for all batches for the DMF purposes, very well versed with IPR issues
Ability to develop novel routes for API,s and draft patents,well versed with polymorphism issues.several patents filed in US/EU
total exp23+ in industry, Currently working as principal scientist and leading a team of scientists in developing APIs for regulated markets, this involves novel routes, polymorphs, and developing intellectual property to protect the invention. This involves all aspects of synthesis and commercialization and assist in providing support for DMF filing.
Currently involved in development of several targets for regulated markets. The job involves visualization of novel routes and its execution , simultaneously develop intellectual property and generate data in the process,. Provide support to US/European marketing team for developing and execution of new projects
led a team of 30 chemists for the custom synthesis business in the area of drugs, organic intermediates, speciality chemicals, flavours and fragrances, nutraceuticals and mettalocenes. (25 projects) This included rapid development, scale up and commercialization as per the needs of the foreign clients with a time frame.customers were Sandoz Basel, BASF Germany, EMAIL, [email protected], 09323115463 call now
1 Donepezil : Manufactured 4 kilos on pilot plant scale as R & D demonstration, the process was developed from scratch. Plans are to make 25 kilos with 300% profit margins
2) Pantoprazole : Process is being modified continuously to cope-up with price crash
3) PZL Chloride an intermediate of Pantoprazole : Multi step process is being continuously modified / developed to meet cost demands
4) Manufactured 3 tonnes deltamethrin on plant scale as R & D demonstration at an commercially viable cost, the process was developed from scratch ie lit,lab work, scale-up, pilot trials and also included third party work for one bromination step,which needed 8 reactors. Later on annually about 25 tonnes were manufactured. later on the company was taken over by a multinational for deltamethrin. the price in market crashed to half.
5) Acetamiprid : Developed a process from scratch. Process was handed over to isagro for commercialization in 2001 during hiving of the company from RPG
6) M-alcohol an intermediate of Tetra conazole : During isagro transition period in 2001, the process from Italy was adapted to Indian plant conditions, scaled up with some modification and handed over for commercialization. This is being produced on a regular basis.
7) Pyrazosulfuron ethyl : Developed a process from scratch. Process was handed over to isagro for commercialization in 2001 during hiving of the company from RPG
MANY PROJECTS ON CUSTOM SYNTHESIS FOR CBZ, PFIZER, AVENTIS, ETC WERE DONE DURING THIS TENURE IN RPG LIFE SCIENCES
Carried out Synthetic Research work partly at (R&D) at RPG RESEARCH CENTRE NAVIMUMBAI- PLANT WAS AT PANOLI,email me, [email protected], 09323115463, call now
QUALITY ASSURANCE/GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICES
1. Exposure to GMP in Bulk drugs and Formulations
2. Excellent Computer literacy.
3 Prepared Drug master files and Site master files for submission to Foreign
and Local regulatory bodies.
4. Conducted Process validations of Bulk drugs.
5. Exposure to cleaning validations.
6. Reviewing of SOP's for different departments.
7. Reviewing of MFR's and BMR's
8. All aspects of documentation with respect to GMP guidelines.
9. Involved in a successful preparation for an audit by the Australian
regulatory body." Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) "
10. Similar involvement with a WHO audit of formulations
11. Conducted several GMP audits.
12 Conducted several Vendor assessments.
Practical Production training in Pharmaceutical manufacturing in the following Departments.
1. Powder injectibles
2. Large Volume Parenterals (Haemaccel)
3. Small Volume Parenterals (Liquid injectibles)
VISITED TABLETS, LARGE VOLUME PARENTERALS, INJ, STORES ETC AS PART OF GMP TRAINING
MANY PROJECTS ON CUSTOM SYNTHESIS FOR CBZ, PFIZER, AVENTIS, ETC WERE DONE DURING THIS TENURE IN INNOVASSYNTH
PROCESS DEVELOPMENT OF AGROCHEMICALS FOR VERY SHORT TIME SINCE THIS COMPANY WAS A SISTER CONCERN OF HOECHST MARION ROUSSEL AND REPORTED TO DR RALPH STAPEL,DIRECTOR PROCESS DEVELOPMENT(ANILOPHOS, DELTAMETHRIN, TEFURAMETHRIN)
MULUND, Mumbai. INDIA The job involved all aspects of synthesis and commercialization from research lab to production,
1.Pentoxyfylline : Independently developed a new route
2.Roxatidine : In a team worked on some of its intermediates; Process development and production trouble Shooting
4.ECPPA : Independently developed a 5 step route for the
synthesis of this single isomer (Enalapril/Ramipri
5.Furamethrin Alc : Independently developed a commercially viable route for its manufacture involving Acetylene as the raw material.
6.Tefuramethrin : Independently developed its synthesis for M/S
Diannihon Jochugiko Japan.
7. Several Drugs/ Vet.Drugs : Trouble shooting for production (eg. PitofenoneHCl, Frusemide, Ramipril, etc.)
1 year 7 months)
(Drugs and Natural products )
1) Azathioprine :worked on all the steps. ALSO WORKED ON CANNABINOID DRUGS, OLIVETOL, worked on menthadienol, iohexol, x ray contrast agents, EMAIL, [email protected], 09323115463 call now
DID ORGANIC PROCESS DEVELOPMENT AS A RESEARCH FELLOW, email me, [email protected], 09323115463, call now
See where I spent time studying and gained early knowledge to prepare for my professional life.
A concise list of some of the most valuable professional skills I possess. My tricks of the trade and what I can bring to the table.
Hear what some of my clients and colleagues have to say about me after working together on various projects throughout my career.
Dr. Anthony is a an moving encyclopedia. I have known him for last 8 years. He has a vast and thorough understanding of API-Process Research along with successful tech transfers expertise from R&D to API plants. He is an extremely positive and selfless person with excellent team management skills. My Best wishes to him..
Dr. Laxmikant Gharat
Dr Anthoni Melvin Cresto or Melvin as fondly known is a very dedicated ,vibrant and a zestfull manger .has a flair for the detailing,self assured and excellent man manager.He came out from the Hoechst school of training a great institution .which made him hardcore professional and chemist par excellence.
Due to common school of thoughts we vibed well and handled various projects together from basic R&D to scale up and commecial scale very sucessfully.Personally an ever smilling man with full of life.
I joined as management trainee in Searle R & D. Dr. Crasto was my senior colleague. I learned a lot from him. He was enthusiastic person, a sincere and hard worker with sound knowledge of Organic Chemistry. Even then he used to visit the library whenever he had any opportunity and was good at literature research. I wish him all the best!!!!
Dr. Crasto is highly self motivated person and very hardworking guy, His concepts for Process Chemistry are very clear and his suggestions are always supported by Scientific Data.
Wish him all the best
I am always praying to god,he can recover as soon as possible with in short time.He is the person as idealogic,passionate,realistic in life,symbolic for sound in chemistry and always motivates the teams teammates.He has the talent to build the teams as very strong blocks.
Get in touch with me if you would like to do business together, share an idea or just say hello.