New York Times Bestselling Author, Forbes & Inc. 30 Under 30, Founder of WorkplaceTrends.com and Millennial Branding
Dan Schawbel is the Founder of WorkplaceTrends.com, a research and advisory membership portal servicing forward-thinking HR professionals, as well as the Managing Partner of Millennial Branding, a Gen Y research and consulting firm. Dan is the New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of Promote Yourself: The New Rules For Career Success (St. Martin’s Press) and the #1 international bestselling book, Me 2.0: 4 Steps to Building Your Future (Kaplan Publishing), which combined have been translated into 15 languages. Dan is a columnist at both TIME and FORBES, and has been featured in over 1,000 media outlets, such as “The Today Show” on NBC, “Street Signs” on CNBC, “The Nightly Business Report” on PBS, “The Willis Report” on Fox Business, “Fox & Friends” on Fox News, People Magazine, The Economist and Wired Magazine. He’s spoken at Google, NBC Universal, McGraw-Hill, Oracle, Harvard Business School, MIT, Time Warner, IBM, and CitiGroup. Dan was named to the Inc. Magazine 30 Under 30 List in 2010, the Forbes Magazine 30 Under 30 List in 2012, and BusinessWeek cites him as someone entrepreneurs should follow.
He’s spoken at some of the world’s most prestigious companies including Google, IBM, Time Warner, Oracle, CitiGroup, McGraw-Hill and Siemens, as well as some of the most notable schools, including Harvard Business School, Stanford, Cornell and MIT. Dan was named to the Inc. Magazine 30 Under 30 List in 2010, the Forbes Magazine 30 Under 30 List in 2012 and the Forbes Top 20 Social Media Influencer List in 2013. BusinessWeek cites him as someone entrepreneurs should follow on Twitter.
He has been featured in over 1,000 media outlets such as Wired Magazine, “The Today Show” on NBC, “Street Signs” on CNBC, ”The Nightly Business Report” on PBS and ELLE Magazine. Dan has helped companies like American Express, NBC Universal, Fidelity and Monster better understand his generation.
Common name mispellings: Shwabel, Schwabel, Schawbell, Schwabell.
Explore my professional history and get to know the companies I worked at and the roles and responsibilities I've been assigned.
WorkplaceTrends.com is a research and advisory membership portal servicing forward-thinking HR professionals. We have a large database of research covering all aspects of HR, from recruiting to employee benefits to training and development. Through our primary research studies, and collection of secondary surveys, we are following the most important trends and then sharing them with our member companies as they happen. Our corporate members have access to a wealth of knowledge at their fingertips, with real actionable advice. Our goal is to help our members prepare for the future of work, today.
The Workforce Institute is a think tank that helps organizations drive performance by addressing human capital management issues that affect both hourly and salaried employees. Through education and research, we empower organizations with practical ideas for optimizing the 21st century workplace. My role as a board member is to provide the millennial perspective on the trends that are impacting the 21st century workplace.
branded.me is a personal branding platform that enables professionals to brand themselves through personal websites. Our platform automates the process of building a personal website through pulling relevant information from Linkedin, and generating beautiful, mobile-friendly websites in seconds. branded.me empowers users to take control of their online brand and showcase their skills, work experience, personality, and more.
I've written for the Time.com business section on workplace and career topics, including millennials, internal hiring, freelancing, flexibility, social networking at work, and more.
For my Forbes column, I've interviewed numerous people from celebrities (James Franco, Jessica Alba, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rachael Ray) to CEOs (Deloitte, Virgin, Google, Discovery, Pixar, Twitter, Instagram, Whole Foods, SAP, Contain Store) to thought leaders (Malcolm Gladwell, Tom Peters, Jim Collins, Clayton Christensen, Michael Porter) to politicians (John Kerry, Colin Powell, Donald Rumsfeld) and even an astronaut (Chris Hadfield). In addition, I interviewed David Karp (Founder of Tumblr) for the cover of the January 2012 issue of Forbes Magazine.
Millennial Branding is a Gen Y research and management consulting firm based. Millennial Branding helps companies understand the emerging Gen Y employee by providing research, training, and advisory services. As representatives of Gen Y and advisers to management, our goal is to provide research and insights that will make you more profitable, grow your market share, help you understand your Gen-Y employees, and turn you into an industry leader. As ambassadors to Gen Y, we want to give our generation a voice, support their careers, and connect them with brands that understand their needs.
Our clients include: Deutsche Bank, Ernst & Young, Fidelity, Ericsson, Siemens, Driscoll's, W.W. Grainger, Inc., Monster, American Express, CitiGroup, Symantec, IBM, Oracle, Time Warner and others.
Over 70 columns since 2009 focused on careers on the "jobs" page one Monday each month. Interviewed Gene Simmons, Tony Robbins, Tim Ferriss, Chelsea Handler and provided modern career advice helping 1.2 million people in New York, Boston and Philadelphia.
• Me 2.0 is the first book on personal branding for the millennials generation and a complete guide on using social media tools for brand building and career success.
• Received mainstream media coverage in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Fast Company, Details Magazine, Fox, CBS, BusinessWeek, Forbes, ABC News, and over 150 other media outlets.
• Became a bestselling career book immediately on launch day, reaching #1 on Amazon's job hunting list.
• Become the #1 bestselling book in all of Japan
• Was endorsed by Daniel Pink, Marshall Goldsmith, Jay Conrad Levinson, Robert Cialdini, Al Ries, Gary Vaynerchuk and over 30 other successful people.
The central hub for personal branding online and a leading resource for career development and marketing. Personal Branding Blog is a Forbes ”Top Website for Your Career” and ranked as the #1 Job Blog by Careerbuilder. It has over 5,000 articles that have been read by over 4.8 million professionals, in 228 different countries, and is the most syndicated career resource in America, with partnerships including Yahoo!, AOL, Biz Journals, Entrepreneur Magazine and Business Insider.
Started the Student Branding Blog as the #1 resource for career and branding advice for students of all ages, from high school to graduate school. The blog features career counselors from the top universities in the country, as well as students and recent graduates who are employed.
This magazine provides a complete perspective on the state of personal branding from globally recognized experts. It is a quarterly magazine and sold electronically as a PDF. There are 12 well-known columnists, 2 editors, a reporter and sponsorship manager on staff. Business leaders, such as Donald Trump, Jack Welch and the Google Founders have graced the cover, with interviews from the top web luminaries, such as Philip Rosedale (founder of Second Life) and Om Malik (founder of GigaOm.com). There are over 30 regular writers who contribute to the issues.
* Recognized as the youngest BusinessWeek columnist at 25 years old.
* Published articles about personal branding, social media, HR strategies, marketing, networking, job searching and more.
* Examples of articles include a personal branding interview with Perez Hilton about Personal Branding and Build a Marketing Platform Like a Celebrity (with personal branding examples such as MC Hammer and Kathy Ireland).
For more information please see my profile http://www.businessweek.com/bios/Dan_Schawbel.htm.
Supporting the brand by spreading awareness and adoption through blog posts, articles, interviews, social networks and speaking.
• Developed social media news releases and related content, drafting proactive news pitches, and researching background information.
• Formulated strategies and driving execution of social media PR tactics in support of product launches and technology thought leadership-related initiatives.
• Oversaw reputation management, blog monitoring, podcasting, search engine optimization (SEO), community building and other social media and networking PR programs.
• Trained executives and employees globally on social media, introducing them to EMC's platform and helping them establish a personal brand through blogs, wiki's and forums.
• Helped EMC Become the #16 top company using social media, and received national press from CNN Money, B2B Magazine, ABC News, NPR, and Bloomberg.
• Directed a high performing Six Sigma team to develop the new offer marketing process for Global Services Marketing, decreasing variation in the current process, increasing profitability and productivity, while cutting overhead costs substantially.
• Trained and held workshops for over 350 customers worldwide, such as DELL and GE, focusing on demonstrating the internal website, support options, customization and overall functionality and experience.
• Increased awareness and adoption of the online support system with employees, partners and customers, improving the user experience and the utilization of the online support suite.
• Assimilated web 2.0 technologies at EMC to build community and streamline processes, while reaching other eServices and remote service capabilities, market and technology trends, next generation support technology, competitive intelligence and potential new offerings
• Crafted a complete marketing communications plan to cultivate and develop the business in various markets
• Analyzed market trends, competitive data and produced a marketing research compilation
• Explored promotional material, including magazines, newspapers and websites in order to advertise and create public awareness
• Outlined a complete diversified advertising budget was aimed directly at the company’s demographic audience
• Sculpted a marketing segmentation, marketing mix, product life cycle, SWOT analysis and perceptual map diagram
• Conceived the company’s mission, vision, and positioning in the marketplace
• Formatted the marketing plan into a presentation, used to present to venture capitalists, banks and the media
• Calculated quantitative campaign results and kept media results up-to-date for clients such as Blackberry and Intel
• Produced and formatted sales presentations, displaying benefits of the product and real-time results of various campaigns
• Offered value-added services to advertisers and sponsors, by monitoring the performance of sponsorships and programs weekly
• Optimized creative review of media elements such as white papers, internet, magazines webcasts and websites
• Carried out marketing research and analysis in support of new product introductions and strategic decision making for the commercial division
• Generated original presentations following research on competitive, industry and opportunity analysis
• Provided support for marketing initiatives and ongoing sales support by the creation of direct mail and email programs
• Collaborated with executives on the coordination of the expansion of the company into states such as South Carolina and Oregon
• Gathered product and product information relevant to their fall catalogs
• Established and maintained good working relationships with their vendors during the creation process
• Assisted in the mass distribution of inter-company sales, marketing, and educational tools worldwide
• Facilitated inter-departmental communication within the company
• Contributed towards the development of various brand enhancing materials for both internal and external execution
• Developed PowerPoint templates and presentations for senior management
• Constructed a 100 page sales manual and presentation, that was used in a company board meeting to instruct the entire sales force on how to sell incentive and promotional travel, resulting in exponential future growth
• Designed several artistic flyers to promote travel incentives for companies to satisfy their employees
• Created a case history for the travel division of the company for a PowerPoint presentation and their website
• Developed creative travel brochures for use in a broad range of customer excursions to various destinations for major clients
• Formed unique websites, displaying incentive trips and related information for major clients
Advised a geosocial networking platform that let's you share and find location-based information about your neighborhood and connect directly with friends and neighbors.
• Conducted media outreach and organized media reports for Lycos products
• Organized a media portfolio, containing articles illustrating the Lycos 50’s opinions on pop culture
• Investigated local newspapers across the country, created an excel spreadsheet, and pitched The Lycos 50 to editors
• Prepared content updates across various network system tools such as slide shows, artistic images, video’s and other media projects that were applied to the Lycos website
• Tracked searches through Lycos, compiling top 10 lists of consumers favorite items
• Assisted with accounts receivable, including the billing process and evaluating the database of accounts
• Telemarketed and utilized marketing research in order to broaden the company’s services into different areas
• Audited consumer accounts, foreseeing refunds and preparing appropriate payments
• Established company website through web programming in FrontPage and Dreamweaver
• Researched stocks to put into a company newsletter, that was distributed to the owners customers through email
• Produced a digital PowerPoint book about how to get a broker’s license utilized by the president of the company to instruct classes
• Marketed website and company by enlisting it in top search engines, increasing customers by 20%
• Incorporated marketing strategy into selling insurance to consumers resulting in an increase of clients
• Configured computer integration into office in order to maximize the efficiency of the company
See what I studied and where I gained valuable knowledge to start my professional career and take on the world.
Community Service: Northeast Elementary School for America Reads, MacArthur Elementary School for America Clicks and the Salvation Army
Activities and Societies: Residence Hall Association: Vice President of Collins Residence Hall; Student Government Association: Senator, Marketing and Communications Board; Steering Council: Member At-Large; Bentley Business Bowl 2nd Place; Bentley Marketing Association: Webmaster, Board Member; Bentley Entrepreneurship Society: Promotions Director, Advertising Associate; Alpha Gamma Pi: Rush Chair & Webmaster; Bentley Investment Group: Member
Take a look at some of my favorite books and projects I've produced over the course of my career.
A step-by-step process for building a successful career in an age of ever-changing technologies and economic uncertainty.
Shows job seekers and established professionals alike how to leverage the power of online media.
Dan has worked with companies such as American Express, Monster, Payscale and others to produce over 19 studies.
Unveiling exclusive new research on the modern workplace, Schawbel breaks down the outdated mores of getting ahead and lays out a practical guide for building an outstanding career in an age of economic uncertainty and constant adaptation to new technologies.Buy on Amazon
In Me 2.0 personal branding expert Dan Schawbel gives you all the tools you need for building a powerful personal brand that will give you a competitive advantage in the marketplace.Buy on Amazon
Through Millennial Branding, Dan has conducted over 19 ground breaking studies having worked with companies like American Express, Monster, Payscale and more. These studies explore issues around recruitment, retention, college, culture, and other workplace trends. Dan is responsible for conducting the "first definitive research in the marketplace to date on Gen Z". For more information visit the link below.
Hear what my clients and colleagues say about me and my work after close collaboration and accomplishment we achieved together.
"Dan Schawbel is the expert when it comes to personal branding for Generation Y. His new book (which I was lucky enough to read before the publication date) provides both the theory and practice of personal branding in a Web 2.0 world. Put it on your reading list!"
"Dan is the preeminent expert on the Millennial generation as well as an amazing career guru and entrepreneurial maven. I worked with him directly on research and he was an absolutely wonderful partner. Anyone lucky enough to work with him will enjoy the process and get amazing results."
"Don't let the 'Personal' in Personal Branding fool you. Dan is a branding machine. When I first met Dan he was working on his first book and it was awe inspiring to watch the kid taking on something as vague as Personal Branding, sticking a flag in it, and with hard work becoming the best in the world at it. Bravo!"
"Dan, working on his Green Belt Certification demonstrated his ability as a results oriented individual. He also demonstrated his ability to organize and motivate his team to drive to a common goal."
"Dan is a young man who has high integrity, personable, and produced superlative work. He was a great asset to us at 1-800-Bakery.com."
"Dan was a wonderful asset to the Global Marketing group during his internship at Reebok. His character and determination played a key role in securing and maintaining relationships throughout the organization and with external vendors. A very thourough and detail oriented worker, Dan was able to handle multiple tasks quickly and efficiently. Positive minded and always extremely prompt, Dan was a pleasure to work with."
Some highlights from my blog
Get in touch with me if you would like to do business together, share an idea or just say hello.